Supply Chain Associate
Onward is a digital freight marketplace focusing on final mile delivery. Our platform mutually solves two of the delivery industries biggest problems:
- Retailers of heavy goods (furniture stores, mattress stores, appliance stores) all struggle to find efficient delivery solutions.
- It is estimated that trucking companies are driving empty 43% of the time and have empty space on their box trucks 95% of the time. This equates to 2.4 billion cubic ft. of wasted/unused cargo space. To put that in perspective, that is 1/2 the cargo space of every personal vehicle on the road today. A TON of waste.
Our platform makes this unused space available to retailers that need help moving heavy goods. This is a mutual solution that will change the way of thinking in an industry that hasn’t changed in over a decade.
You are a charismatic, self-motivated individual who is not afraid to get their hands dirty. You take charge in fast paced, high pressure situations while maintaining a cool, calm and collected attitude. You can balance between keeping our customers happy while managing our delivery teams.
You want to live and breathe the startup lifestyle. You thrive in an environment that's constantly evolving and prefer that over consistency and a steady-state environment. You are ready for extreme growth, hyper-scaling into new markets and learning from all these experiences. You can pivot when you run into walls and learn from your mistakes. You love automation and want to bring all your creative ideas to the table to help improve our technology. You are a quick thinker and a fast learner. You are KPI driven and OKR focused.
The Supply Chain Associate will be responsible for running the day to day of Onward. You work directly with account management and customer service to ensure our customers receive the highest level of service. You will be responsible for managing our carrier base and making sure all deliveries go smoothly while learning from every failure. You will be working with senior management to constantly strive for continuous improvement.
Competitive + Stock options
- Represent Onward’s Mission by executing on all deliveries and managing the delivery process from beginning to end
- Use Onward technology to create optimized, efficient and profitable routes
- Manage and track carrier performance while constantly striving for improvement
- Work directly with the carrier recruitment team to train and supervise new Onward carriers.
- Sell the “Vision of Onward” to our carriers while keeping them onboard.
- Build strong and reliable relationships with our carriers. Make them dependent on Onward as a primary source of revenue.
- Work directly with account management to create SOPs and ensure our carriers are following them.
- Create action plans to prevent future failures.
- Put creative ideas on increasing business and expanding into new markets into action
- Use carrier feedback to create improvement ideas for our technology
Skills and Experience:
- 1-2 years experience in an operations or project management role
- Experience in logistics, trucking, freight forwarding, supply chain, ocean carrier operations preferred
- Previous experience in a leadership role preferred
- Sales experience a plus
- Ability to manage multiple projects - prioritization, planning and task delegation
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Google Sheets/Docs/Slides or Microsoft equivalent
- Strong work ethic - willing to put in the hours, work nights and weekends if necessary
- Proven ability to meet and exceed goals
- Entrepreneurship spirit
Message from our CEO:
Onward is a high-growth, venture-backed startup using a first to market approach to fix the supply chain crisis in the United States.
The supply chain crisis is in the forefront of everyone's minds these days. It is on the news and I am sure you have experienced delays in shipping your gifts around the holidays. Of all the industries impacted by the crisis, no industry has been hurt more than the big and bulky goods transportation market (furniture, appliances and palletized goods). Did you know if you go into a store to purchase a piece of furniture, it will take over a month for that product to arrive at your home? To make matters worse, there is a driver shortage in the industry that is making it impossible to find the help needed for supply to meet demand. Further pushing out the end date to this crisis.
At Onward, our platform has found a way to fix the driver shortage. Not by recruiting more drivers, but by making the drivers on the road more efficient. Our technology has allowed us to connect each retailer in the market to the unused cargo space on the road everyday. Therefore allowing retailers to reduce the time between order and delivery from over a month, to next day.
As a result, we are on a rocket ship of growth. Backed by Techstars, we set records by oversubscribing our Series Seed fundraising round and have grown 500% since the middle of 2021. We have onboarded some of the biggest retail stores in the nation and have secured investment from some of the best Venture Capitalists and Angel Investors in the industry (we have 4 unicorn CEOs as our angel investors!).
We’re a team of highly motivated individuals that have lived and breathed the problems in this industry for years. We have deep experience in running startups, developing complicated web applications, designing user interfaces that delight customers and building fun work environments. We also have founders that have proven track records in scaling businesses from under $5M in revenue to over $50 million.
Our team closed our fundraising round in December 2021 and we are building out the team that will ride this wave of opportunity. There has never been a better opportunity to join a startup where you can have an immediate impact on the environment, national news and truly fix an archaic industry. The supply chain crisis is estimated to last until 2024 and this industry is estimated to contribute 40% to the world's carbon emissions by 2050. We’re looking for talented, creative, & self-motivated people to stop the above facts from happening!
We’re stoked to meet you.